Thursday, May 18, 2006

2 A Beetle Crawls Across America



So I went in yesterday to Donsco VW because the steering needed an adjustment after the new steering box was installed last week. Joe, the owner, was going to reinstall it and have me out in the morning and I'd commence my trip. Worst case scenario would be that he would not have it fixed until too late for me to make any real headway on my trip, thus postponing the start until early today. Wrong. Worst case scenario was that the the steering box would break while Joe was trying to get it out, and that the closest available steering box would be in Orange County, southern California. I watched as the drive pulled out of the box instead of the steering box pulling away from the drive. I agree with Joe that it was probably the poor workmanship of the box that made this happen. But, anyway, I was left stranded without a car, since I returned my rental car the day before. Joe said the part would arrive this morning at 7:30 a.m., and that he would install it as soon as he could.

Donsco VW seems to be really a parts shop where VW fans come in and shoot the breeze. Joe is the owner and the only mechanic, and my perspective of the operation is that the maintenance part of the business is more of a hobby than a business. It does, however, seem to be a good parts shop, and both Joe and Fred, the part-time parts man and full-time chef, are both friendly, and the source of a lot of good information on VWs. I just hope the steering box arrives this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home