Thursday, September 07, 2006

Hurricane Hunter Sept 7

So I went to the Wright Brothers’ Memorial.
and it had just the right amount of information and exhibits for me. Just enough to keep me interested, and not enough to bore me. You know how tedious those museums can get; like the Louvre and the New York Metropolitan of Art, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So I took in a couple of hours of Orville and Wilbur and their antics at the turn of the century (turn of the last century) up until the first powered flight by man in 1903 at Kill Devil Hills.
Here’s a picture of one of earlier gliders they tested before they figured out how to power it.

These markers show the distances of the first four flights. The first three were around 100 feet. You can see the last marker way in the background. That flight was over 800 feet.


Here’s the replica of the original. It was built in 2003 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their flight, and it was supposed to fly where the original one flew, but the winds weren’t strong enough that day so it didn‘t fly. I don’t know if someone flew it at a later date but I can’t imagine they would take the trouble to build it, and then not fly it because one day was windy. The information was probably mentioned in the Centennial Building (a building dedicated to just the replica), but I was growing weary of Orville and Wilbur by this time.
Someone built a tall, thin monument, and put it up on the top of Kill Devil Hill (at least I think it’s Kill Devil Hill) to commemorate the first flight. It looks a lot like that monolith in the movie 2001. Or the Washington Monument. Someone needs to come up with a new style of monument, don’t you think?
Enough of that.
There’s a hang gliding school nearby, so I went to check out the instruction. I climbed a huge sand dune (and I mean huge), and when I got to the top, there were about 8 or so students with their helmets on, all waiting in turn to take their first flight at Kitty Hawk. It costs $89 for your first lesson (if anyone’s interested).
The flights are very short (like the Wright Brother’s first three flights), but if you pay $129, you can get towed up to 2,000 feet by an airplane and released. Of course, you’d have an instructor with you. I took some movie clips of the actual short flights but this blog won’t accept them. So, if you’re really interested, I can email one of them to anyone who’s interested.
Beware of sharks.

You don’t have to get out of your car to buy alcohol. You can just drive through.
Hey Kenny, there’s plenty of places for you to eat here!

Okay, the surf’s no good here yet. It‘s small and choppy but it’s supposed to build.
But some people are quite content hiding in wait and stalking their prey. But my direction is south, and I’m leaving in a few minutes in order to pursue my prey.


Hey wait, is that Adam Sandler?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul, I think the whole adventure should be of interest to many readers for different reasons.
Maybe Oprah will pick it up..

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oprah's not gonna pick it up! High five on Adam sandler!!!!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOWZ THE SURF NOW?

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home