Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hurricane Hunter Sept 9


Well, Friday I headed south on the cape. At the Cape Hatteras lighthouse the barrier island turns 90 degrees so that the east facing beach becomes a south facing beach. It rained more off than on as I drove down to Buxton, where the bend in the island is.
The wind was blowing 15-20 knots out of the northeast and the surf was a mess. I got a nice hotel room on the beach, then drove west past the bend to the Frisco pier where the wind would be offshore (thereby giving the surf a better shape).



The wind was indeed offshore at Frisco, and the shape of the waves was better, but the surf was too small for my 8 footer. There were two guys on long boards getting some Waikiki-type rides at the Frisco pier.

The wave forecast chart shows the biggest swells will hit the coast Monday morning.
I was told, however, by some local surfers that Florence would stay too far out to sea to give us an offshore wind, and it would probably be big and messy.


It looks like Hurricane Florence is going to be a difficult hunt.I decided to go after her at home, but she wasn‘t there either.

Since it looked like I’d have to wait two days just for big and messy waves, I checked my map the next morning, and decided to drive to Atlantic Beach, NC, which is just across the causeway from Morehead City.

I drove north, back towards Kitty Hawk, then went west and south for about 4 hours. Along the way, I filled up with gas at $2.49 per gallon.
I did see one station selling it for $2.39. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen it so far.

The beach here in Atlantic Beach is quite nice. I like it better than the cape. The sand is whiter, and the beaches are wider. It reminds me of Destin and Ft. Walton in Florida. I’m staying in a nice motel across the road from the beach, and I walked over and surfed some small waist high waves yesterday. The water temperature is 80 degrees, and the air is 80 degrees; a nice combination.

Afterwards, I drove a few miles west looking for better waves but it all pretty much looked the same. Monday’s the day, but hopefully Sunday will bring something bigger.


I did find a nifty trailer park right on the water. There’s a bunch of them for sale. If any of you are interested, you can get one for as little as $12,000. After that, all you pay is $3,100 a year for the lease. Just think, beach front property for $12,000. You can’t go wrong.

I got all this info from Otis. Otis has been living there ever since he retired 8 years ago. He and his wife have some retirement income, but they supplement it by scouring the beach for jewelry and coins with their magnetometers (or whatever they‘re called). He found a ring while I was talking to him but he quickly put it in his pocket, and didn’t show it to me. Maybe it was worth a fortune, and he thought I was with the IRS. Anyway, he told me he and Maggie (that’s his wife) went to Hatteras last week after Hurricane Ernesto went through, and a friend of theirs found a silver shilling (or something like that) with a date of 1601. Well, who knew living in a trailer park could be so grand? I’ve got the telephone numbers and stats on the ones for sale. Just email me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like fun.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI...did you know that about 8 or 9 years ago they had to move the lighthouse at Cape Hatteras due to beach erosion?

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home